วันอาทิตย์ที่ 22 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2552

Unschooling has nothing to do with school

My family and I just returned from an unschooling conference/gathering that was held in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. This was our fourth unschooling event in the past three years. I am still feeling the love that was radiating at this gathering. I have been an advocate for respectful parenting for a few years now. I believe that as parents, it is our responsibility to heal our own childhood wounds while parenting our children mindfully and loving them for exactly who they are. Mindful parenting led my family to the unschooling path.

I felt very emotional at the gathering. I was either in tears, or on the verge of tears almost the whole time that we were there. I really couldn't put into words the emotions that I was feeling, except to know that they came from a place very deep inside me. I believe that my emotions stemmed from a deep wound of my own, one that told me I am not okay as I am. At this gathering, I felt deep in my soul that I am more than okay exactly how I am. This was a place where I felt accepted for exactly who I am, and my kids were as well. Being surrounded by people who treat their children respectfully and who see their child's unique gifts no matter what they may look like to others, was overwhelmingly beautiful. I felt so joyful and happy, and very weepy.

I know that the place deep in my soul was feeling loved in a way that we were all meant to be loved and nurtured. I felt so grateful to be blessed with this gift. This is what I strive for in my everyday life with my children. I want them to know that they are perfect exactly how they are.

I wish that I could write the "vision" that I have in my head of these beautiful children running around in pure bliss. They do not have the "hang-ups" that many schooled children have. They are not afraid to be exactly who they were meant to be. To them, it is not an option to be someone they are not. They will not conform to someone else's idea of who they should be. They have the freedom to discover what they love. They act on instinct, they are internally motivated to do things that they are passionate about. When they get tired of something, they move on.

People that are passionate about their lives are people that are going to help change the world for the better. I thought to myself over and over while at the gathering that I wish I could announce to the whole world how wonderful unschooling is for everyone! It is life, it really has nothing to do with school. It is living, being, and experiencing all that is our world. It is being loved just because you are you. It is about being our child's partner on this journey they are having while discovering their world. It is being a loving presence when they need help navigating.

The best gift each of us can give the world is to be emotionally healthy in ourselves so that we are able to be with other people in a conscious loving way. I do believe world peace begins with our children. Unschooling allows children to live authentically from that place deep in their soul that tells them they are perfect exactly how they are.

I write about my experiences with unschooling, personal growth, mindful parenting, meditation, my journey through chronic depression, and more, on my website www.benurtured.com. I hope you will visit me.

http://www.odemagazine.com/blogs/readers_blog/8024/unschooling_has_nothing_to_do_with_school

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น